01 March 2010

Baked Parmesan Garlic Chicken Wings with Oven-Fried Potato Chips

As promised, I'm now posting the recipes I prepared the past week. But where to start? I guess I'll just write it down in the order I prepared them. So that makes the first one...


Baked Parmesan Garlic Chicken Wings



2 1/2 lbs (~1kg) chicken wings, separate at the joint
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp ground cumin (I used chili powder as a substitute)
1 tsp kosher or sea salt (or 1/2 tsp table salt)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or melted butter)
2 tbsp minced fresh basil
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp seasoning salt (I have no idea where to get this, so I just used our salt at home)
1 cup blue cheese dressing (I prepared ranch dressing, recipe of which I will also post)
1-2 tsp Dijon mustard

1. Preheat oven to 425F. In a small bowl, mix together oregano, rosemary, cumin (or chili powder) and salt. Lay chicken wings on a baking sheet and season the wings with the mixture.

2. Bake the chicken wings for 20-25 minutes (it took us about 35mins to cook the chicken probably something to do with our oven temp - note to self: buy an oven thermometer). While chicken is baking, mix together oil, fresh basil, garlic, parmesan cheese and seasoning salt.

3. In a separate bowl, mix together blue cheese dressing with mustard. (Again, I didn't have blue cheese so I looked for an alternative and the nearest one is ranch dressing - which I prepared from scratch).

4. When chicken is cooked through, toss the wings with garlic/cheese/butter sauce. Serve with dressing.

****
Ranch Dressing
from allrecipes.com

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream (I used buttermilk - prepare 1 cup of buttermilk by placing 1 tbsp of lemon juice on a liquid measuring cup then add enough milk to make 1 cup)
1/2 tsp dried chives (I replaced with 1 tsp fresh spring onions)
1/2 tsp dried parsley (I replaced with 1 tsp fresh flat parsley or even celery can be used)
1/2 tsp dried dill weed (this one I found a substitute through Google - 1/4 tsp dried rosemary, crushed + 1/4 tsp paprika)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper

Just place everything in a blender and adjust according to taste. I had to add some salt and pepper because I found the initial mixture too sweet (probably because of the mayonnaise I used).

****
Oven-Fried Potato Chips
from the Pinoy Cook

large potatoes (the quantity depends on you)
olive oil
salt
pepper
herbs (I used Carmencita Sensations Provence herb mix - sea salt, tomato, thyme, oregano, garlic, sage, marjoram, basil and rosemary)

The herb mix above was purchased from Shopwise and is recommended for use with chicken. There is, supposedly, another herb mix (called Toscana) which is recommended for pasta. I only had the Provence one however, so I tried it out. It worked for us naman :)

1. Scrub the potatoes clean, making sure to remove any particles such as soil.
2. Slice the potatoes thinly, about 1/8" with skin on.

3. Brush both sides with olive oil then arrange on a single layer on a baking sheet.

4. Sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper.

5. Bake in a pre-heated 90C (194F or thereabouts hehe) oven until browned.

****
So there you have it. That was Monday night dinner for us. We had some more left, enough for our baon the next day.

The chicken wings were good...as in yum yum good :) and the potatoes were the perfect partner. Definitely cheaper than going to Shakey's to order their chicken and mojos combo :)

No comments: